Five Notes for Today’s Games
1. Here are the studs for today’s games: John Buck C NYM, Joe Mauer C MIN, Freddie Freeman 1B ATL, Prince Fielder 1B DET, David Ortiz 1B BOS, Jose Altuve 2B HOU, Jason Kipnis 2B CLE, David Wright 3B NYM, Pablo Sandoval 3B SF, Troy Tulowitzki SS COL (if he plays), Jed Lowrie SS/3B, Jose Bautista OF TOR, Alex Gordon OF KC, Austin Jackson OF DET, Justin Upton OF ATL, and Andrew McCutchen OF PIT. I wanted to give a stud play at every position today so that you can fill out your lineup with one of as many of the guys I like as possible. Breaking the list down a little further, I really like Fielder, Mauer, Freeman, Upton, and McCutchen today.Â
2. Value plays list: Nate Freiman 1B OAK, Brandon Belt 1B SF, Brian McCann C ATL, James Loney 1B TB (2,700 Draftkings salary… How is that?!), Dan Uggla 2B ATL ($3,100 DK salary), Nolan Arenado 3B COL, Brandon Crawford SS SF, Oswaldo Arcia OF MIN, Don Kelly 3B/OF, Ben Francisco OF, and Cody Ross OF ARI. Of this list, I particularly like McCann, Loney, Arenado, Kelly, and Ben Francisco. If you are playing on DK, you need to have Arenado in your starting lineup at that 2K price tag. Unfortunately that will keep you from using some good 3B options today.
3. I believe the Rays and Jays game will be a low-scoring affair. That would have probably been a “duh”-statement at the beginning of the season seeing as it will be a face-off between the two Cy Young winners a year ago. But the way these guys have been pitching this year, I’m actually taking on a lot of risk by making this call. Personally, I like Price more than Dickey in this one, but I could see both pitchers having a good game. Price’s problems are more luck-centered. Dickey seems to be having velocity and location problems. Navigating the starting pitching today is going to be quite difficult because I’m not in love with the actual skills of the top options sans David Price. My top five options are: Jeremy Guthrie RHP @ BAL, Doug Fister RHP @ WAS, Patrick Corbin LHP vs PHI, David Price LHP vs TOR (still risky), and Jeff Locke LHP @ NYM.
4. The “Due” Factor- Things I think are due. Andrew McCutchen is 1 for 9 in his career against Dillon Gee but is hitting .286 vs RHP this year. Gee is giving up a .310 AVG to RHB. Andrew McCutchen is due to get a mult-hit game versus Dillon Gee. Â Justin Upton has not had a home run or extra base hit in his last 10 games. Ryan Vogelsong is giving up a .361 AVG and .989 OPS to RHB. Upton has 2 HRs in 13 ABs vs Vogelsong. Justin Upton is due to go deep and will go deep vs Ryan Vogelsong today. Eric Hosmer has hit safely in 8 of his last 10 games but only has two XBHs during that span. Freddy Garcia wasn’t bad his first start which means he is due to be bad this start. Eric Hosmer is due to hit an extra base hit and possibly hit his first home run of the year versus Freddie Garcia.
5. I would definitely stack the Royals @ RHP Freddy Garcia and Athletics @ LHP Scott Kazmir. Other stacks I think are plausible are: Astros vs LHP Jason Vargas (you always have to consider an Astros stack vs a LHP, though I don’t think I would do this one), Red Sox or Twins or both, Braves @ RHP Ryan Vogelsong (8 HRs allowed so far this year) and Tigers @ RHP Dan Haren. I would also consider a mini stack of the Colorado Rockies RHB vs LHP CC Sabathia (Tulowitzki, Arenado, Rosario, Rutledge, and Cuddyer)