5 Notes for Today’s Games
1. I would stay away from C.J. Wilson, Kris Medlen, Jordan Zimmermann, Homer Bailey, and Hiroki Kuroda as starting pitching options. Instead I would focus on: Matt Harvey, Lance Lynn, Justin Grimm, Ervin Santana (if weather permits), and Ryan Dempster.
2. Studs I like: Carlos Santana C CLE, Pablo Sandoval 3B SF, Allen Craig 1B/OF STL, David Wright 3B NYM, John Buck C NYM, Mike Napoli C BOS, Will Middlebrooks 3B BOS, Desmond Jennings OF TB, Jose Altuve 2B HOU, Vernon Wells OF NYY, and Chase Headley 3B SD.
3. Value plays I like: Pedro Alvarez 3B PIT, Brandon Laird 3B/1B HOU, Chris Carter 1B HOU, Brandon Crawford SS SF, Brandon Belt 1B SF, Marcel Ozuna OF MIA, Matt Diaz OF, and Justin Ruggiano OF MIA.
4. Stack: Cleveland Indians vs LHP Tommy Milone, Boston Red Sox vs LHP Scott Diamond, Tampa Bay Rays vs LHP J.A. Happ, Pittsburgh Pirates vs RHP Aaron Harang, and I would think about a Houston Astros stack vs LHP C.J. Wilson.
5. The Due Factor- Here are some things that I think are ‘due’. Anibal Sanchez has not given up a home run all year. Bryce Harper hasn’t hit a home run in 8 games. Bryce Harper is due to hit a home run off of Anibal Sanchez (weather permitting). Jose Bautista has not had an extra base hit in this 5 game hitting streak he is on. Roberto Hernandez has only given up 3 extra base hits to opposing right-handed hitters. Jose Bautista is due to hit an extra base hit off of Roberto Hernandez. Martin Prado is 0-10 versus Josh Beckett in his career. Beckett is giving up a .276 AVG to right-handed batters. I think Prado is due to get his first hit off of Josh Beckett. Matt Diaz is 0-5 to start 2013 versus left-handed pitching. Diaz is hitting .322 versus lefties over his entire career. Eric Stults is giving up a .290 AVG to RHB and Diaz is 2-2 with a HR off of him. Matt Diaz is due to have a mult-hit game.