5 Notes for Today’s Games
1. Paul Goldschmidt 1B ARI, Anthony Rizzo 1B, and David Ortiz 1b BOS are the only first basemen I would give any legitimate thought to starting today. Goldy will get to face lefty Capuano who has been awful so far this year. Goldy is also 9-12 with 4 extra base hits versus Capuano. I’m still not buying Nick Tepesch as a front-line MLB starter. I think Rizzo should have a decent matchup here and will be cheaper than Goldschmidt and Ortiz. David Ortiz is probably my favorite daily fantasy player out there. He’s been mashing and contributing extra base hits in just about every game he’s played in. It also seems like he keeps getting good matchups. Getting to face righty Vance Worley should be no different. If you aren’t using one of these three guys then you’re losing.
2. Andrew Cashner RHP SD will rebound today versus the Marlins at home. I have put a lot of my fantasy reputation both yearly and daily on the line with Cashner this year. First the Padres let me down by not starting him, and now he let me down with his last start. The Marlins aren’t that good and have to make a cross country flight to San Diego from Philadelphia to play this game. I’m not a huge believer in jet lag, Â but it can only be a positive for Cashner. I also like how the Padres have been playing recently. Chase Headley looks like a nice play against Wade LeBlanc. I think there is way too much made out of his reverse splits. LeBlanc has been awful to both sides of the plate this year. Put your money behind the talent of Cashner.
3. My favorite value plays are: Luis Valbuena 3B CHC, Marcel Ozuna OF MIA (if you want to fade the Cashner pick), Yonder Alonso 1B SD, Cody Ross OF ARI, Ryan Roberts 2B/3B and/or Sean Rodriguez SS TB, Seth Smith OF OAK, Delmon Young OF and Mike Carp 1B BOS. My favorite stud plays are: Evan Longoria 3B TB, Jacoby Ellsbury OF BOS, Yoenis Cespedes OF OAK, Brandon Moss 1B/OF OAK, Jason Kipnis 2B CLE, and all the other first basemen I mentioned above.
4. Clay Buchholz RHP BOS scares me today. I have been propping him all year, and he hasn’t disappointed. He has looked so filthy against very good baseball teams. This whole juicing the ball thing has brought someÂ trepidation into my decision making. Normally I would roster him without question, but if he has this stuff in his mind or if he was really cheating, there is a huge amount of risk. If I were you I’d lay off of picking Buchholz just for the day and see what happens. If he’s awesome then feel free to use him from here on out. If he struggles, we will have to worry.
5. Stack the Padres vs LHP Wade LeBlanc, D’backs @ LHP Chris Capuano, Rays vs LHP Mark Buehrle, Red Sox vs RHP Vance Worley, Athletics vs RHP Ubaldo Jimenez.