Five Notes for ALL of Today’s Games
1. Starting Pitchers- Mike Minor LHP ATL vs TOR is a decent starting play today against the high-powered Jays lineup. The Jays have struggled vs LHP even though they are a righty-heavy lineup. I would recommend Jake Peavy against the Cubs, but the wind is blowing out in Wrigley. It could be a trap start. Of course, Felix Hernandez RHP SEA @ SD is an expensive but safe play. I also think Doug Fister RHP DET @ PIT and Kyle Lohse RHP MIL @ MIN could both sneak up and have great games. Lohse has had trouble vs righties this year and the Twins are sure to be lefty-stacked. As far as value plays, I see three options (best, better, and good): Michael Wacha RHP STL vs KC, Andrew Cashner RHP SD vs SEA, and Franklin Morales LHP BOS @ PHI.Â
2. Stud Hitters- Buster Posey C SF (cheap prices and hitting RHP pretty well this year), John Buck C NYM (not buying Vidal Nuno and Buck has been putting really good swings together), David Ortiz 1B BOS, Adrian Gonzalez 1B LAD (see the Due Factor), Adam LaRoche 1B WAS (almost a must start against all RHP especially bad ones like Freddy Garcia), Robinson Cano 2B NYY (disappointed last night but gets RHP Gee today, should rebound), Brandon Phillips 2B CIN (kills LHP and Kazmir is struggling), Miguel Cabrera 3B DET (make room for him), David Wright 3B NYM (hitting .315 with 6 of 7 HRs coming against RHP), Troy Tulowitzki SS COL (2 HRs last night and 10 of last 12 have come vs RHP also hitting .368 vs RHP), Didi Gregorius SS ARI (didn’t play last night but the .400+AVG and 4 HRs vs RHP remains relevant), Alex Rios OF CHW (wind blowing out in Wrigley), Carlos Gonzalez OF COL, Chris Davis 1B/OF BAL (.402 14 HRs vs RHP, nobody is grooving better than CD right now), Mike Trout OF LAA (bound to start hitting LHP, he’s due), Michael Cuddyer OF COL (.350 AVG with 7 HRs), and Carlos Beltran OF STL (keep running him out there vs RHP 10 of 12 HRs now).
3. Value Hitters- Josh Donaldson C/3B OAK (.400 vs LHP only 3,700 on DK-must start), Brian McCann C ATL, Nate Freiman 1B OAK (still 2,000 and .364 AVG facing LHP Barry Zito), Matt Adams 1B STL (if he plays, he’s cheap), Scott Van Slyke 1B/OF LAD (clear path to playing time, cheap, facing a LHP which he’s hitting .455 against), Zack Cozart SS CIN (hitting .392 over last 10 games and faces a LHP, only 3,100 on DK),Â Nick Franklin SS SEA (hasn’t done much yet but dirt cheap w/pedigree in the MI), Derek Dietrich 2B/SS MIA,Â Marcel Ozuna OF MIA (14 game hitting streak and facing a rookie RHP), Dayan Viciedo OF CHW (facing a LHP with wind blowing out in Wrigley), andÂ Torii Hunter OF DET (10 game hit streak, beatable LHP and 3,700 on DK).
4. Stack ‘em Up- Rockies vs RHP Lucas Harrell, Reds @ LHP Scott Kazmir, Mets @ RHP Vidal Nuno, Orioles vs RHP Dan Haren, and Red Sox @ RHP Jonathon Pettibone
5. The Due Factor- O for my last 7…. It’s very hard to type that. I’m going to have to stop keeping track. I’ve liked some of my predictions a lot and missed. Today may be no different. Adrian Gonzalez 1B LAD has a .387 AVG with 20 RBI vs LHP this year. However, he has yet to hit a home run off of a LHP. Opposing LAA LHP Jason Vargas is giving up a .291 AVG to left-handed batters but hasn’t given up a HR to one of them. I don’t know about you but that combo smells perfect to me. Adrian Gonzalez is DUE to hit a home run off of Jason Vargas.