1. Clayton Kershaw LHP LAD (Elite) vs SF- Kershaw has been spectacular once again in 2013. The only real damage that has been done against Kershaw has come by way of the home run. The Giants only have 3 home runs so far against LHP. Kershaw also owns the Giants historically. His start against the Giants on Opening Day was a fantastic complete game 4-hitter. It doesn’t get any pricier than Kershaw today, but there is usually a reason for that. If you are stacking a cheaper team like the Cubs or Mariners, it would be smart to pair them with an elite starter like Kershaw.
2. Doug Fister RHP DET (Elite) @ HOU- Stack the righties versus Houston. Fister has been keeping his strikeout numbers up enough to warrant consideration in daily fantasy. He’s pitched well this year and has had to face the Yankees, Blue Jays, Angels, and Braves. If he can stay up for the Astros, Fister could have his best game of the year. The Astros have that affect on opposing right-handed pitchers. I think Fister will be a big time pick all over the place.
3. Mike Minor LHP ATL (Elite) vs NYM- I struggled with whether to go Minor, King Felix, or Matt Moore with my final elite slot. I think they are all decent starts tonight. I really like Moore as a pitcher this year, but the Rockies offense scares me. Same thing should be said for Felix. I’m not as scared of the Mets offense especially if they are without David Wright again. Minor has been really good all year, and up until that last start against the Tigers, he hadn’t had trouble with RH bats. I like Minor to bounce back against a much less talented Mets team.
4. Jonathan Pettibone RHP PHI (Value) vs MIA- Pettibone or anybody should be started against the Marlins. I don’t know if Pettibone would be number one starter on a site like Fanduel, but he’s definitely on my team on sites like DraftKings and Draftstreet. Pettibone hasn’t set the world on fire, but he should be more than serviceable in this matchup.
5. Ross Detwiler LHP WAS (Value) @ PIT- In five starts this year, Detwiler has only had one bad start (3 earned runs in 5 IP), and it was his last start against the Reds. Detwiler’s strikeouts aren’t where you’d like them as he only been able to muster up 16 in 31 IP. It appears he’s pitching more to contact which has raised his effeciency. I think he’s a perfect 3rd pitcher on Draftstreet tonight versus the Pirates. The Pirates are only hitting .215 against LHPs, and only McCutchen has solid BvPs in a small sample size. I admit that Detwiler may be a site specific value play.
**I decided not to rank KC/CHW due to rain. Also, Shelby Miller should be a good play against the Brewers, but he didn’t fit into this format well.**
1. Carlos Santana C CLE (Elite) vs LHP Pedro Hernandez- Santana is 11 for 22 over his last 7 days. Santana is also hitting .424 with 3 HRs against LHP. In his 15.1 IP, Pedro Hernandez has given up 2 HRs and a .353 AVG to opposing RH batting hitters. This play needs no more explanation.
2. Evan Longoria 3B TB (Elite) @ LHP Jeff Francis- Some days it is hard to figure out the right ‘elite’ hitters to use. Other days, it is quite easy. Today is one of those days for me. Longoria is the premier play for me. I’d start him on every site. He’s hitting .455 over his last seven days and is hitting .367 vs LHP. Francis is awful, and they are playing this game in Denver. As long as the temp doesn’t get extreme, Longo is going to go off.
3. Prince Fielder 1B DET (Elite) @ RHP Bud Norris- I really battled back and forth of whether I liked Fielder or Nelson Cruz as my final elite player. I settled on Fielder, but realistically you can roster all of my players both value and elite on a team today. That doesn’t always happen so maybe someone will take advantage of that. Fielder is locked in. Bud Norris has been getting knocked around by LH hitters so far in 2013 (.357 AVG and 2 HRs). Fielder’s splits seem to favor him against LHP this year, but that’s just a small sample size anomaly. He will hit righties better.
4. Oswaldo Arcia OF (Value) @ RHP Justin Masterson- I’m afraid Arcia is a boom or bust pick even as a value pick. That’s really hard to be, I know. I have liked what I’ve seen from Arcia lately. He’s not trying to hit every ball out of the park. Over his last seven days, Arcia has a much more respectable .285 AVG and two extra base hits. Arcia is one of those coveted 2K players on DraftKings and has a decent matchup versus the newly struggling Masterson. Masterson has been much more hittable versus LH bats. I like Arcia’s talent level as well. There’s only one other 2K player with Arcia’s talent, and that’s Nolan Arenado 3B of Colorado.
5. Jeff Baker 1B/OF TEX (Value) vs LHP Felix Doubront- Jeff Baker is smashing both good and bad left-handed pitching. I recommended him last game versus LHP Chris Sale, and Baker did not disappoint. Doubront is nowhere near the level of Sale. Baker is hitting .381 with 3 HRs in 21 ABs against LHP. Baker has become a platoon guy and is showing he can really excel in that role. On DraftKings, Baker is still 2K so he’s the perfect filler especially due to his positional flexibility.
**Some other value plays: Don Kelly 3B/OF, Nolan Arenado 3B, Nate Freiman 1B, Marcel Ozuna OF**
Top Five Teams to Stack
1. Cleveland Indians vs LHP Pedro Hernandez
2. Tampa Bay Rays vs LHP Jeff Francis
3. Texas Rangers vs LHP Felix Doubront
4. Seattle Mariners @ LHP Ricky Romero
5. Detroit Tigers @ RHP Bud Norris