Five Notes for Today’s Games
1. Starting Pitchers- I only see three starting pitchers that I feel like are “stud” starters: Kris Medlen RHP ATL @ NYM, Anibal Sanchez RHP DET vs MIN, and Jordan Zimmermann RHP WAS vs PHI. I especially love Medlen today. The last few times I’ve watched him pitch, you could tell that he was starting to regain the feel for his change-up and was doing a lot better job of locating his pitches. I’m fine if you want to use Lance Lynn, A. J. Burnett, and Bronson Arroyo, but I’m going to steer clear personally. Some cheap options I like would be Tom Koehler RHP MIA @ CWS who pitched very well last start vs ARI and Scott Feldman RHP CHC @ CIN who has only given up more than 2 runs in a start once out of 8 starts (4 er in his first start vs ATL).
2. Stud Hitters- Nelson Cruz OF TEX (kills LHP this year), Paul Goldschmidt 1B ARI, Freddie Freeman 1B ATL, Robinson Cano 2B NYY, Jose Altuve 2B HOU (time to dust off your Astros today), Manny Machado 3B BAL, Miguel Cabrera 3B DET (as always), Brian McCann C ATL or Evan Gattis C ATL (whoever it is today), Adrian Beltre 3B TEX, Adam Jones OF BAL, Allen Craig 1B/OF STL, Jason Kipnis 2B CLE (keep an eye on the weather 50 percent rain chance), Mike Trout OF LAA (nobody’s hotter other than Miggy), Yoenis Cespedes OF OAK (XBH in four straight games), and Troy Tulowitzki SS COL (way cheaper than usual on DK from 5,700 down to 4,600 today. I don’t think Lincecum is good enough to drop the value of Tulow by 20 PERCENT!)
3. Value Hitters- J.J. Hardy SS BAL (only 2,900 on FD gets a rookie LHP), Chris Carter 1B HOU (still cheap some places, 3,200 on FD), Jeff Baker 1B/OF (3,000 on FD and 3,200 on DK finally gets another bad LHP, should be started on both sites), Matt Tuiasosopo 3B/OF DET (usually plays vs LHP and usually does very well when he plays .340 AVG), Matt Kemp OF LAD (3,200 on FD seems like a steal even if his matchup is a little tougher in RHP B. McCarthy), Jacoby Ellsbury OF BOS (3,000 on FD could be a cheap filler with loads of talent), Marcell Ozuna OF MIA (destroys LHP and will face a diminished John Danks), J. D. Martinez OF HOU, Nate Freiman 1B OAK (if he starts against the LHP only 2,000 on DK), and David Adams 2B/3B NYY (strictly a stack filler at 2,000 0n DK).
4. Stack ‘em up- Orioles @ TOR LHP Sean Nolin, Rangers @ SEA LHP Joe Saunders, Braves @ NYM RHP Jeremy Hefner, Marlins @ CHW LHP John Danks (yeah I said stack the Marlins), and of course, Detroit Tigers vs MIN LHP Samuel Deduno (although Deduno was awesome in the WBC).
5. The Due Factor- Alex Gordon OF KC has only 1 stolen base on this young season. Today he’ll face a catcher who has only thrown out 3 of 35 would be basestealers. Gordon will be facing a LHP which could make getting on base and getting a jump more difficult, but I still think that he’s DUE to get a steal today. This is a little bit of tongue-in-cheek, but Anthony Rizzo 1B CHC has not had a hit in his last 18 at bats. He’ll face a RHP in Bronson Arroyo today. Rizzo is DUE for a hit. Chris Carter 1B HOU hasn’t had an extra base hit in 9 games. He’ll face a beatable LHP Tom Milone. Look for Carter to get an extra base hit and probably go deep today because he is DUE. Now, I have missed on my Home Run call the past three days, but it’s time we end that trend. I’m feeling exceptionally good about this call. Marcel Ozuna OF MIA has a .621 SLG versus LHP but has only one home run. That home run was on May 4. John Danks LHP CHW limps into this game with diminished velocity and all kinds of control problems during his rehab. I’m DUE to get one of these HR predictions right this week. I guarantee we get this thing back on track today. Ozuna hits one deep and not playable today against Danks because he’s DUE.