Five Notes for Today’s Games
1. As I look over the possible options at starting pitcher today, I get a little nervous at making a prediction. I think Stephen Strasburg RHP WAS @ SD should be owned everywhere. After Strasburg, I like Mat Latos RHP CIN @ MIA, Matt Cain RHP SF @ COL (so dangerous, but the Rocks have cooled), Andy Pettitte LHP NYY vs SEA (rebounded last start and I don’t buy the Mariners we saw yesterday), and for a cheap option I’d use Jose Fernandez RHP MIA vs CIN (his tight curveball is devastating to LHB and the Reds are top 10 in Ks vs RHP). I could see using Francisco Liriano LHP PIT today, but there are some serious risks to that play. I’d wait one more start to make sure what we saw against the Mets is the real Liriano.
2. Stud Hitters- Mike Trout OF LAA (love the changes he made in his stance and has 6 HRs in May to show for it), Adam LaRoche 1B WAS (LaRoche has quietly built a 12 game hit streak for himself and went deep yesterday. Faces RHP Edinson Volquez), Bryce Harper OF WAS (if he plays), Robinson Cano 2B NYY (Harang is a mess. Cano has a .330 AVG vs RHP), Mark Trumbo 1B/OF LAA (I think this could be a trap game for CHW LHP Jose Quintana), Evan Longoria 3B TB (L/R matchup facing LHP Felix Doubront and 9 game hit streak), Pablo Sandoval 3B SF (has 6 of 7 HRs vs RHP, facing RHP Jhoulys Chacin in Colorado), Garrett Jones 1B/OF PIT (Pirates stack), and Ben Zobrist 2B/OF TB (hits 40 points higher versus LHP .287 over the course of his career)
3. Value Hitters- Russell Martin C PIT (5 of 6 HRs vs RHP and a .285 AVG), Jean Segura SS MIL (3,700 on DraftKings is a joke. He should be owned by every team today), Howie Kendrick 2B LAA (looks like he has finally started to carry his Spring Training successes into a season .291 AVG and 6 HRs), Derek Dietrich 2B/SS MIA (he is the perfect stack filler on DK with a 2,500 price tag), Brandon Crawford SS SF (3,000 on Fanduel and has been hitting better lately, too expensive for DraftKings 4,100), Will Middlebrooks 3B BOS (I’m not a huge fan of this matchup today, but Middlebrooks has a 3,000 dollar price tag on DraftKings and hit a homer yesterday, has 7 extra base hits in last 6 games), and Dayan Viciedo OF CHW (Viciedo has a HR in his last two games and has a .859 OPS, faces unimpressive RHP Jerome Williams).
4. Stack the Pirates vs MIL RHP Hiram Burgos, Angels vs CHW LHP Jose Quintana, Nationals @ SD RHP Edinson Volquez, Yankees vs SEA RHP Aaron Harang, and Rays vs BOS LHP Felix Doubront.
5. The Due Factor- Travis Snider OF PIT (if he starts) has not hit a home run all year but has that skill set in his bag of tricks. Hiram Burgos RHP MIL gave up 10 earned runs in his last start. You don’t bounce back quickly from something like that. Travis Snider is DUE to go deep today off of Hiram Burgos. Here’s a negative due factor. Jhoulys Chacin RHP COL hasn’t given up a home run since Opening Day. He’ll be pitching in Colorado. Jhoulys Chacin is DUE to give up a home run probably a couple of them. Ichiro Suzuki OF NYY is 0 for his last 20 and is only 1 for 16 versus RHP Aaron Harang. Suzuki should break out of this funk and Harang should give him every opportunity. Ichiro Suzuki is DUE for a mult-hit game.