Five Notes for the LATE Games
1. Starting Pitchers- Gio Gonzalez LHP WAS vs NYM is really the play of the day (weather permitting, 60 percent chance all night). The Mets are the 3rd worst MLB team vs LHP in OPS, and they hit a minuscule .221 against left-handers. Gio has been pitching better lately with three QS in his last four starts. I really like Shelby Miller RHP STL vs ARI as well. The only other SP option in my opinion is Daniel Straily RHP OAK @ CWS. Straily has three straight starts of one run or less and is coming off a start vs the White Sox in which he held them to 1 run over 6 IP and 8 Ks. He’s definitely the best of the cheaper options. If you want to go high risk/high reward I think Shaun Marcum RHP NYM @ WAS and Zack Greinke RHP LAD vs ATL might offer you that. I won’t be using either however.Â
2. Stud Hitters-Joe Mauer C MIN (consistency but I’d go cheap on catcher today), Mark Teixeira 1B NYY (Harang is bad and Tex has been good since returning), Robinson Cano 2B NYY (must start), Josh Donaldson 3B OAK (loves facing LHP), Adrian Beltre 3B TEX (10 game hit streak and Lester struggling), Jimmy Rollins SS PHI (Peralta gets shelled in AVG by Rollins and Lucroy isn’t very good at throwing out would-be basestealers), Carlos Gonzalez OF COL (wow, he is a man-beast), Domonic Brown OF PHI (price has risen to where it should be 5,400 but the matchup is still pretty enough to keep the long balls coming), and Yoenis Cespedes OF OAK (.294 vs LHP with a .960 OPS, I expect a steal in this one as well).
3. Value Hitters- Evan Gattis C/OF ATL (if he plays, he’s the golden boy today at a 3,600 DK price) or Brian McCann C ATL (or both but only 3,200 on DK and Greinke hasn’t been dominating so far),Â Jeff Baker 1B/OF TEX (nobody I love playing vs LHP .389 AVG with 5 HRs and a 1.389 OPS), Nick Franklin 2B SEA (keep running him out there at a 2,300 DK price), Andrelton Simmons SS ATL (super hot 11 game hit streak during which he’s hitting .360, only 2,800 on FD and 3,600 on DK), Kevin Youkilis 3B NYY (3,300 price tag brings me into the marketplace), Kendrys Morales 1B/OF SEA (still plenty of value at 3,700 on DK), Jason Heyward OF ATL (apparently DK thinks Greinke is going to dominate because all the Braves price tags are low, 3,300 for JHey who has 3 straight mult-hit games), and Alex Gordon OF KC (Fanduel play of the day here… only 3,100 vs RHP Mike Pelfrey)
4. Stack ‘em Up- Yankees @ RHP Aaron Harang, Twins vs RHP Wade Davis, Brewers vs RHP Tyler Cloyd, Athletics @ LHP Jose Quintana, andÂ Mariners vs RHP Phil Hughes (last time Mariners faced Hughes they run ruled him in the first and forced him from the game with only 2 outs in the first inning)
5. The Due Factor- After a day long hiatus, the due factor is back fresh and ready to perform. It’s amazing what a day off can do for a player’s mentality. Hopefully that will hold true with the due factor as well. Kevin Youkilis 3B NYY has no HRs since returning from the DL (April 9th was his last one). He’ll face a RHP in Aaron Harang who should be ready to serve one up to him. Youk is hitting .333 with both his HRs against RHP. Historically Youk is better against LHP, but I still think he’s DUE to hit a HR tonight.