Five Notes for the EARLY and LATE Games
** No Braves/Pirates game due to the early start**
1. Starting Pitchers- For the early games I will be rolling Hisashi Iwakuma RHP SEA vs CWS out there on all teams. Iwakuma has been the 6th best fantasy pitcher so far in 2013 according to ESPN’s player rater, and the White Sox are bottom 3 in MLB in both AVG and OPS. I will also be using Cole Hamels LHP PHI vs MIA in the early matchups. Cole has already faced the Marlins twice this year and performed quite well despite my reluctance to use him. He’s still a little risky as the Marlins have been playing good baseball over the last week, but I’m okay with that risk. For the late games, you have to be using Clayton Kershaw LHP LAD vs SD. He’ll be worth the price. Kershaw gave up 3 HRs to the Padres when he faced them on April 17 and don’t think he’s forgotten that. After Kershaw, things get a little hairy. I’m going to go cheap with my second pitcher with one of these three guys: Freddy Garcia RHP BAL @ HOU, Dan Haren RHP WAS vs NYM, and P.J. Walters RHP MIN @ KC. At this time, I am leaning towards using Dan Haren in the late games with Kershaw on two SP sites.
2. Stud Hitters (early)- Buster Posey C SF (don’t trust Dickey to keep a clean sheet anymore, plus Posey is only 3,700 on DK), Ryan Howard 1B PHI (dust off your Ryan Howard, I think he could go deep today, Brown is going to push his success), Robinson Cano 2B NYY (.333 and 10 HRs vs RHP), Kyle Seager 2B/3B SEA (8 game hit streak and should enjoy facing a RHP at home), Jean Segura SS MIL (no other viable options and he’s legit), Kyle Seager 2B/3B SEA (gets a RHP at home), Coco Crisp OF OAK (hitting .400 over last 7 games), and Jose Bautista OF TOR (Zito hasn’t given up many HRs this year, but I think Bautista could be trouble for him, hitting .310 AVG and 5 HRs since moving to number 2 in the batting order).
3. Stud Hitters (late)- Joe Mauer C MIN (most consistent fantasy catcher in the game), Adam LaRoche 1B WAS (still streaking hot, facing a HR friendly RHP in Dillon Gee), Adrian Gonzalez 1B LAD (hitting .385 at home and has a .907 OPS vs RHP), Adrian Beltre 3B TEX (hitting .421 over his 9 game hit streak, I think he’s a must play tonight vs Lackey), David Freese 3B STL (blazing hot, good looking swing and a 14 game hit streak in which he has a .404 AVG and a 1.058 OPS), Jurickson Profar 2B/SS TEX (love the positional flexibility and think he could have a good game against Lackey), Allen Craig 1B/OF STL (hitting .412 over last 8 games, hit HR last night, and facing a mistake prone LHP in Miley), Shin-Soo Choo OF CIN (keep running him out there against these Rockies RHP), and Adam Jones OF BAL (4,400 on DK and should perform against LHP Keuchel).
4. Value Hitters (early)- Yan Gomes C CLE (.590 SLG vs LHP and Sabathia has given up 8 HRs to RHB so far), Adam Dunn 1B CHW (if anybody is going to damage against Iwakuma it will be Dunn. 2 HRs against Iwakuma), Nick Franklin 2B SEA (still a super cheap must start 2K player on DK and has hit harder against RHP in a very small sample size so far), Juan Francisco 3B/1B MIL (cheap speculation that Colon has a bad games, very risky),Mark DeRosa 3B/OF TOR (grinding kind of player could perform against a LHP on the road, two of his strengths, 3,3oo on DK and 2,700 on FD), John Mayberry OF PHI (2 HRs yesterday, like the Phillies to score runs in this one), Domonic Brown OF PHI (still 3,800 on DK and gets a quad-A RHP), and Marcell Ozuna OF MIA (cheap and continues to mash).
5. Value Hitters (late)- Matt Wieters C BAL (facing a LHP and 3,200 on DK- must start), Matt Carpenter 2B/3B STL (cheapest 2B elig player that has value today, hitting .500 over his last 13 game hit streak), J.J. Hardy SS BAL (severely underpriced at 3,400 on DK facing a bad LHP in a hitters ballpark), Didi Gregorius SS ARI (still cruising vs RHP and gets a beatable RHP Joe Kelly), Anthony Rendon 3B WAS (Rendon is back and 2,000 on DK and 2,400 on FD, perfect for a Kershaw user), Yasel Puig OF LAD (we’ve now seen the talent, 2K on DK and 3K on FD. I like him better cheaper vs a RHP even if it is Jason Marquis), Ryan Doumit C/OF MIN (4 HRs and 11 RBI over last 10 games).
**I’m benching the Due Factor for the night. If it doesn’t turn things around, I may have to designate it for assignment. Hopefully, some rest is all it needs.**