Five Note for Today’s Game
1. Starting Pitcher- I hate when all my favorite, go-to pitching options are all pitching on the same day. Today is that day. Felix Hernandez RHP SEA vs CHW is the highest priced pitcher on the list and is by far the safest play of the day. His opposing pitcher Jake Peavy RHP CHW @ SEA is not far behind. Jordan Zimmermann RHP WAS vs NYM will face the a bad Mets team and should rebound from his really poor start last time out. Mike Minor LHP ATL vs PIT will face a Pirates team that isn’t very good against LHP. Jered Weaver RHP LAA vs CHC did really well in his last start back from the DL, and I don’t think the Cubs pose too much of a problem for him. As far as cheap pitching goes, there is Michael Wacha RHP STL vs ARI. Ranking these pitchers with price included would go as follows for me: Hernandez, Wacha, Zimmermann, Weaver Minor, then Peavy.
2. Stud Hitters- Joe Mauer C MIN (finally gets an exploitable RHP in Mendoza, I expect multiple hits), Evan Gattis C/1B (if he plays), David Ortiz 1B BOS (if you didn’t know by now .386 AVG and 7 HRs vs RHP), Joey Votto 1B CIN (.365 AVG and 6 HRs vs RHP), Jason Kipnis 2B CLE (not many other elite options at 2B today), Dustin Pedroia 2B BOS (best 2B option of the day but still only hits .313 and .783 OPS vs RHP, best go cheap at 2B today), Chris Johnson 1B/3B ATL (still hitting .415 vs LHP, nobody else comes close), Ryan Zimmerman 3B WAS (I just don’t think Hefner will be able to keep the ball in the yard, Zim is my flier to go deep), Hanley Ramirez SS/3B LAD (must start everywhere he is a SS because of price deflation, he should be activated today. Awesome during rehab stint in Minors .333 AVG and .820 OPS), Allen Craig 1B/OF STL (best LHP hitting Card and gets a rookie LHP in Skaggs), Chris Davis 1B/OF BAL (nobody in baseball is better against RHP than Davis so far in 2013), Adam Jones OF BAL (only 4,400 on DK, killing RHP), Jose Bautista OF TOR (guaranteed to go deep today vs RHP Lincecum), Shin Soo Choo OF CIN (missed on him yesterday, but all the stats from yesterday ring true again today as Choo will face a mediocre RHP at home), and Daniel Nava OF BOS (nice mid-priced OF that destroys RHP 6 HRs and .323 AVG).
3. Value Hitters- Chris Herrmann C MIN (listed as C on both FD and DK but is playing OF and batting left vs a bad RHP, there doesn’t get better for a slot filler than this kind of minimum salary fill-in), Scott Van Slyke 1B/OF LAD (kills LHP and Richard isn’t a good Lefty by any stretch of the imagination), Nick Franklin 2B SEA (still 2K on DK and way too cheap for his production potential), David Freese 3B STL (13 game hit streak with 3 HRs and is only 3,100 on FD, he’s a must-start there), Ian Desmond SS WAS (riding a 7 game hit streak and homered yesterday, 2,400 on FD), Nate McLouth OF BAL(somehow his salary has dropped to 3,300 but there may not be a better buy for your money today), Domonic Brown OF PHI (HE IS STILL 3,800 on DK), and Yasel Puig OF LAD (led-off the game last night and has all kinds of potential to hit for XBH and get on base, only 2K on DK).
4. Stack ‘em Up- Orioles @ RHP Lucas Harrell (although Harrell pitches better at home), Dodgers vs LHP Clayton Richard, Nationals vs RHP Jeremy Hefner, Cardinals vs LHP Tyler Skaggs, and Blue Jays @ RHP Tim Lincecum.
5. The Due Factor- (0 for last 9) I’m going to have to go back and start calculating my successess in with this slump so my percentages look better. I though for sure Viciedo was going deep yesterday. He had a double but not a home run. I thought about using Danny Espinosa 2B WAS today. He’ll face RHP Jeremy Hefner who he has 2 HRs in 10 at bats against. But Espinosa’s slump makes my slump look good. He hasn’t hit a HR since May 5, hasn’t had a multi-hit game since May 8, and hasn’t had an extra base hit since May 10. While he qualifies as being “due” in all three of those categories. I don’t have the guts to stake my dwindling “Due Factor” reputation on him. We are going to go with another less dangerous long-shot, Brandon Crawford SS SF. Crawford has 4 of his 5 HRs vs RHP and has continued to hit the ball well all season. However, he hasn’t sent one over the fences since April 27th. Before Josh Johnson RHP TOR went down with the injury he was having all sorts of problems, but he didn’t give up a HR to a LHB. For me, I think the trouble will remain for Johnson after the injury and he’s due to give a HR to a LHB today. Brandon Crawford is DUE to be that guy.