Five Notes for Today’s Games
1. Starting Pitchers-
- Matt Harvey RHP NYM vs WAS- Every time he toes the rubber, Harvey is under automatic consideration to be used. Today he’ll face a Nationals line-up that really misses the effect of Bryce Harper’s presence. Harvey is pricey, but he’s also the top option of the night. The other pricey option is Max Scherzer RHP DET @ TB. Scherzer has been even better than Harvey lately and has beat down two of the best offenses in MLB in his last two starts. Last time Scherzer faced the Rays he went 7 IP with 8 Ks and only 1 ER.
- Hisashi Iwakuma RHP SEA vs CHC- I just don’t think he could possibly have three bad outings in a row.
- Julio Teheran RHP ATL vs ARI- I’ve said this before in this space, and I’ll say it again. Teheran has taken the next step in his development and could be something special if he continues on this trend. He’s harnessed his 95 MPH fastball and has been stellar at mixing in his plus change-up. His price is still reasonable on most sites.
- Chris Capuano LHP LAD vs PHI- Chris hasn’t given up a run in his last two starts. Capuano has destroyed LHB this season to the tune of only 1 XBH Â in 51 batters faced. I assume the Phillies will continue to start Utley, Howard, and Domonic Brown. If Capuano can navigate Delmon Young, Michael Young, and Carlos Ruiz, I think he could have another good start. He has some risk in the amount of innings he’ll pitch, but I think he’s a lock for 6 IP and 4 Ks. The earned runs are the only question mark.
- Bartolo Colon RHP OAK vs STL- Normally I never pick a pitcher against the bats of the Cardinals, but Colon has a lot of value on DraftKings tonight at a $6,900 price tag. Colon has had a quality start in 12 of his 15 starts this year. On sites where innings carry heavier weight like DraftKings and Starstreet then Colon makes a nice gamble tonight.
2. Stud Hitters-
- Wilin Rosario C COL- 4 straight multi-hit games. Rosario is a career .325 AVG/1.015 OPS vs LHP in his career. He’ll face LHP Barry Zito in Coors.
- J.P. Arencibia C TOR- “Auto-dong” should have his opportunity to go deep in this game vs the weak arm of Allen Webster in the RH hitter’s park of Fenway.
- Edwin Encarnacion 1B TOR- E5 has 18 HRs in 237 ABs vs RHP this year. Somebody is going to hit home runs for the Blue Jays in this game, and I think Encarnacion is as good a bet as any. On DK you must choose between Lind and Encranacion at 1B. I would choose E5 even though Lind’s peripherals are slightly better.
- Chris Davis 1B/OF BAL- I like the flexibility of Davis on DraftKings. If you could find the budget for his huge 6,600 salary, I think he has a plus matchup vs RHP David Phelps.
- Brandon Phillips 2B CIN- The 2B position is relatively weak today as far as matchups go. Phillips will face LHP Martin Perez. He did just have a newborn baby at home so that could either be a motivating factor or lack of sleep. Who knows? With not much else to choose from, you really have no other choice at the stud level.
- Pablo Sandoval 3B SF- The Panda has more power from the left side of the plate and has a very favorable matchup vs Chacin in Coors.
- David Wright 3B NYM- Wright is a career .334 AVG/ 1.005 OPS vs LHP. LHP Detwiler had an awful start his last time out and is giving up a .324 AVG and .813 OPS to RHB. It’s almost a perfect storm for a good game for Wright.
- Hanley Ramirez SS LAD- **must start** Hanley has hit safely in 9 straight with 4 HRs, and he’ll face LHP John Lannan. That’s all that needs to be said.
- Yasiel Puig OF LAD- I don’t think you can justify not using Puig these days. There’s really nobody that’s more consistent right now.
- Michael Cuddyer OF COL- Cuddyer is hitting .345 AVG vs LHP and has been absolutely amazing at home hitting .385 AVG with a 1.103 OPS in Coors.
- Andrew McCutchen OF PIT- I honestly don’t know much about Johnny Hellweg, but I know that he hasn’t faced a hitter like McCutchen.
- Dexter Fowler OF COL- Fowler is one of the few switch hitters that hit better from the right side. Fowler has hit .300 vs LHP over the course of his career as opposed to .262 as a LHB. This year Fowler has seen his OPS rise to .962 to LHP and .931 at home.
- Mike Zunino C SEA- Zunino is only 2K on DraftKings. It’s not the greatest matchup in the world vs LHP Travis Wood, but a 2K player doesn’t have to do much to gain value.
- John Buck C NYM- only on Fanduel where he’s 2,400, but I like the matchup vs LHP Detwiler
- Carlos Ruiz C PHI- Facing LHP Chris Capuano really works in Ruiz’ favor. Ruiz has always hit LHP pretty well and has been seeing the ball really well over his 3 starts behind the dish. Don’t be surprised to see another mult-hit game out of him.
- Brandon Moss 1B/OF OAK- Shelby Miller has been showing some chinks in the armor lately, and Moss has shown he can hit for power vs RHP (12 HRs and .508 SLG).
- Omar Infante 2B DET- facing RHP Alex Colome is no small task, but Infante is a grinder.
- Dan Uggla 2B ATL- Uggla is due for a HR. Delgado could have some nerves returning to Atlanta. I just worry about Uggla’s eye issues. High risk/High reward play
- Juan Francisco 3B MIL- Juan is hitting .267 with 4 HRs over his last 10 games. He’ll face the flame throwing Cole tonight, but JuanFran has no problems with the fastball. It’s the crooked pitches that get him.
- Josh Donaldson 3B OAK- At 3,700 I could see someone using Donaldson as speculation that Miller continues to struggle. Donaldson is hitting .290 AVG vs RHP.
- Jhonny Peralta SS DET- Peralta has 6 of his 7 HRs vs RHP and still has a .295 AVG vs righties. He’s well worth the $3,300 price on Draft Kings
- Jean Segua SS MIL- At 4,100 on DK that seems like a steal even if Segura has cooled a bit.
- Nate Schierholtz OF CHC- He’s only 3,700 so He’d be worth the speculative play vs RHP Iwakuma who has struggled the last two times out and gave up 3 HRs the last game.
- Austin Jackson OF DET- Jackson joins the other non-Miggy Tigers with cheap price tags on DK today. Shockingly this should be an easy stack to pull of for the GPPs.
- Jason Heyward OF ATL- $3,900 on DK and facing a RHP Randall Delgado.
- Matt Kemp OF LAD – Only 3K on Fanduel and proved last night that he’s fit with 2 SBs. Let’s just hope the power returns.
Stack ‘em Up
- Rockies vs LHP Barry Zito
- Blue Jays @ RHP Allen Webster
- Dodgers vs LHP John Lannan
- Mets vs LHP Ross Detwiler (perfect for a huge GPP mini-stack in my opinion)
- Giants @ RHP Jhoulys Chacin
My DraftKings Lineup
P- Julio Teheran ATL $7,300
P- Bartolo Colon OAK $6,900
C- Mike Zunino SEA $2,000
1B- Edwin Encarnacion TOR $6,100
2B- Ian Kinsler TEX $5,000
3B- David Wright NYM $5,400
SS- Hanley Ramirez LAD $4,900
OF- Yasiel Puig LAD $5,400
OF- Brian Bogusevic CHC $2,000
OF- Jay Bruce CIN $5,000
0 dollars left over