Five Notes for ALL the Games Today
1. Starting Pitchers-
- Patrick Corbin LHP ARI @ WAS- Corbin is a **must start** today. He’s already pitching like one of the better pitchers in all of baseball. He’ll face the Nationals today that are the worst in MLB in AVG, OBP, and OPS vs LHP. Corbin destroys LHB. Nobody has stolen a base on him, seriously. I’m not saying it will be a cake walk for Corbin (Vegas has the Nats heavy favorites -145), but it could be very close.
- Derek Holland LHP TEX @ NYY- The Yankees still carry around a huge name, but their bats haven’t lived up to that name. The Yanks are 4th worst in MLB in OPS vs LHP. Holland has had three straight rough starts of 4 earned runs in each start. All five of Holland’s bad starts have come against teams with much better offenses than the Yankees. Holland has crushed mediocre to bad offenses this year.
- Tyler Chatwood RHP COL vs NYM- Chatwood is living under the radar. He has given up 2 ER or less in each of his last 7 starts. Chatwood probably won’t strike out a ton of hitters (even though the Mets like to strike out), but he has done a really good job with men on base. It’s a risky way to pitch and could get him burned, but Chatwood is keeping the ball down. He has not given up a home run all year; that includes four starts in Coors.
- Avoid Zack Greinke RHP LAD vs PHI as he has been struggling with LHB. If the LHB of the Dodgers are rocking then they are tough to beat because Puig and Hanley have been holding down the right side quite nicely.
2. Stud Hitters-
- Wilin Rosario C COL- Rosario is streaky and has 3 straight mult-hit games and doesn’t lose power vs RHP.
- Joe Mauer C MIN- You’ll have to pay, but nobody beats his consistency from this thin position.
- Anthony Rizzo 1B CHC- The way Rizzo holds his hands will always make his susceptible to having slumps, but he’s catching serious fire lately with 5 XBH in last 5, two of which were long balls.
- David Ortiz 1B BOS- always a possibility every night. I like this match-up vs Wang
- Dustin Pedroia 2B BOS- I love the consistency of Pedroia. 3 straight muli-hit games
- Adrian Beltre 3B TEX- Beltre is hitting RHP and LHP equally decent. Hughes should give Beltre some meat pitches to place over the Yankee fences.
- Manny Machado 3B BAL- I’ll have a Double Machado please. Machado is hitting .344 vs RHP and a .891 OPS
- Hanley Ramirez SS LAD- **must start** Hanley has a 9 game hit streak with 4 HRs and 5 mult-hit games. Heck he even stole a base last night.
- Carlos Gonzalez OF COL- CarGo hasn’t HR’d in 6 games which means he’s due at the way he’s been playing in 2013.
- Jacoby Ellsbury OF BOS- Facing the arm of Arencibia and the slow delivery of Wang makes me think there could be some stolen bases to be had for Ellsbury.
- Yasiel Puig OF LAD- I’m a believer
- Mike Trout OF LAA- just seems like an opportunity to go deep vs RHP Fister who can give HRs up out of nowhere. I like the way Trout has been hitting lately.
3. Value Hitters-
- Salvador Perez C KC- best cheap catcher on FD, and does very well vs RHP
- Carlos Ruiz C PHI- 2,700 on Fanduel. Chooch is under-priced and heating up at the dish. Don’t love the matchup vs Greinke, but he’s always a threat for a couple of hits.
- Mike Napoli 1B BOS- 3,400 on Fanduel doesn’t necessarily make Napoli a value play, but I think with his talent and hitting as of late he could have a good enough game vs Wang to warrant value even at 3,400. Additionally there aren’t many cheap 1B options today
- Billy Butler 1B KC- if you must grab a 1B under 3K on FD then Butler seems to be the best bet. Even though Deduno is sneaky good, I think Butler is going to start exhibiting that power that we all know is coming.
- Darwin Barney 2B CHC- not the sexiest pick, but Barney has hit safely in 6 straight games including 3 XBHs and 4 runs.
- Nolan Arenado 3B COL- keeping with the Rockies stack, Vegas is predicting runs in this one 10, and I don’t think Chatwood is going to be the one serving them up.
- Luis Valbuena 3B CHC- all the Cubs are still cheap on Fanduel as Valbuena is 2,700. Valbuena has hit safely in 10 of last 11 and has a decent .826 OPS vs LHP
- Jimmy Rollins SS PHI- Greinke has shown weakness towards LHB so far this year. JRoll has hit slightly better from the LH side of the plate. He may still be a reach.
- Andre Ethier OF LAD- Ethier hasn’t had the best of seasons but hasn’t been awful vs RHP. Pettibone struggles vs LHB.
- Ryan Sweeney OF CHC- In keeping with the value love affair with the Cubs, Sweeney has 4 XBH during his current 5 game hit streak.
- Alex Gordon OF KC- Gordon seems like he may be getting out of his awful slump with a HR and walk-off hit yesterday.
- David Murphy OF TEX- Murphy is always a HR threat vs RHP. Hughes has been disastrous at home.
- Daniel Nava OF BOS- 3,300 on FD. Nava crushes RHP, and Wang could get lit up on any given night.
4. Stack ‘em Up-
- Rockies vs RHP Jeremy Hefner
- Red Sox (LHB) vs RHP Chien-Ming Wang
- Rangers @ RHP Phil Hughes
- Cubs @ RHP Wily Peralta
5. Here’s a Fanduel, all-day lineup:
P- Patrick Corbin ARI $7,600
C- Salvador Perez KC $2,800
1B- Mike Napoli BOS $3,400
2B- Dustin Pedroia BOS $3,900
3B- Manny Machado BAL $3,200
SS- Jimmy Rollins PHI $2,900
OF- Carlos Gonzalez COL $5,700
OF- Andre Ethier LAD $2,700
OF- Ryan Sweeney CHC $2,800
0 dollars left over