Five Notes for the LATE Games
Even though there is weather everywhere, I’m ranking players from all games. Just do your diligence and check weather radars closer to game time.
1. Starting Pitchers- It can get a little difficult to find value in a day where there is so much of a gap between the stud pitchers and the value pitchers. This may be the day to spend a little more on your pitching. Cliff Lee LHP PHI vs WAS is my favorite pitcher play of the day. He’s followed closely behind by Matt Cain RHP SF vs SD and Adam Wainwright RHP STL vs CHC. As for the value plays I really only see three viable plays: Zack Wheeler RHP NYM @ ATL making his debut,Â Alfredo Figaro RHP MIL @ HOU, and Ubaldo Jimenez RHP CLE vs KC. Wheeler is a GPP play because of his high risk/high reward value facing the strikeout-prone Braves. If not for a looming Jason Castro home run in this game I would be using Figaro everywhere. The propensity of the Astros to strike out in bunches vs RHP and Figaro’s sharp 37/7 K/BB ratio have me feeling like he could put up some serious K numbers. Another cool fact about Figaro is the extreme jump in his fastball velocity this season (from a career avg 92 mph to 95 mph which is 3rd behind Strasburg and Harvey as fastest among SP). Jimenez will face the Royals who are the second worst team in MLB in OPS to opposing RHPs. That is not a small sample size effect. They are really that bad, especially the left-handed bats.
2. Stud Hitters- Wilin Rosario C COL (Rosario lose AVG but not power vs RHP and Esmil Rogers is due to give up a couple of HRs), Joey Votto 1B CIN (Morton can struggle vs LHB, Votto is a top play today), Albert Pujols 1B LAA (4 mult-hit games in last 5, heating up and facing RHP Jeremy Bonderman who is awful), Howie Kendrick 2B LAA (blazing hot, keep using), Jason Kipnis 2B CLE (.448 AVG over last 10 and facing a RHP in Ervin Santana), Aramis Ramirez 3B MIL (love the matchup, he’s only 4,100 on DK), Miguel Cabrera 3B DET (everyday play), Jean Segura SS MIL (3,900 on DK, good stack play), Mike Trout OF LAA (no brainer if you can afford him facing Jeremy Bonderman), Jose Bautista OF TOR (perfect opportunity for Bautista to go deep today), Austin Jackson OF DET (he hasn’t lost a step, should score a run or two today), Mark Trumbo OF LAA (hasn’t HR’d in 10 games, he’s the DUE Angel to go yard today), Carlos Gonzalez OF COL (I’m spending on OF today, and CarGo has another good matchup vs RHP Rogers), and Jay Bruce OF CIN (4 HRs in last 10 games, could make that 5 out of last 11 facing RHP Morton at home).Â
3. Value Hitters- Jonathan Lucroy C MIL (3,800 on DK, .356 AVG and .958 OPS in June and facing beatable RHP Lyles), Michael Zunino C SEA (minimum salary with HR potential vs RHP Joe Blanton),Â Victor Martinez C/1B DET (use him today vs LHP Britton, no real difference for career batting L/R for VMart), Matt Carpenter 2B/3B STL (only 3,600 on DK, that’s too cheap not to use), Anthony Rendon 2B/3B WAS (Minimum salary 2,000 on DK, but high risk/ high reward facing LHP Cliff Lee), Jhonny Peralta SS DET (3,600 on DK facing a LHP Britton, .424 AVG and 1.120 OPS vs LHP), Wil Myers OF TB (not a super huge Myers fan for this year, but I think he could go deep today in his debut vs LHP Doubront, 3,800 on DK), Raul Ibanez OF SEA (3,600 on DK, still has HR potenital facing a HR giving RHP in Joe Blanton), and Avisail Garcia OF DET (Garcia should start today vs LHP Britton, strictly a HR or nothing play if you decide to go with Garcia).
4. Stack ‘em Up- Reds vs RHP Charlie Morton, Blue Jays vs LHP Jeff Francis (the Jays are bound to start hitting LHPs better), Brewers @ RHP Jordan Lyles, Tigers vs LHP Zach Britton, and Angels vs RHP Jeremy Bonderman.
5. My DraftKings Lineup- I decided it would be helpful to show how I use this information I give everyday to build a lineup of my own.
P- Cliff Lee PHI $11,000
P- Ubaldo Jimenez CLE $7,500
C- Michael Zunino SEA $2,000
1B- Joey Votto CIN $5,400
2B- Matt Carpenter STL $3,600
3B- Aramis Ramirez MIL $4,100
SS- Jhonny Peralta DET $3,600
OF- Jay Bruce CIN $4,600
OF- Austin Jackson DET $4,400
OF- Wil Myers TB $3,800