Five Notes for Today’s Games
1. Starting Pitchers- Max Scherzer RHP DET @ KC is the ace of the day. He continues to keep damage down in his starts and will always strike batters out. He should also walk out with a victory in this one. The only draw back to Scherzer’s game is that he doesn’t go deep into games because of high pitch counts. If that’s all you have to worry about then you’re in pretty good shape. C.C. Sabathia LHP NYY @ OAK always pitches better near his old stomping grounds, but the A’s feast on LHP. The only other ace-like pitcher I would consider for today would be Cole Hamels LHP PHI @ MIN. Hamels has been a little up and down this year, but the Twins don’t have very many RHB other than Josh Willingham to challenge him. There is a plethora of intriguing rookie and cheap pitching options today. I worry about Cingrani in that he will be facing the Cubs for the third time and the book is out on him. The Cubs won’t be surprised. Chien-Ming Wang makes his debut against an awful White Sox team that struggles to hit RHP. Wang doesn’t strike out enough batters to warrant consideration today, but he could be the perfect 3 SP on Draftstreet. As for the cheap pitchers, I will be sticking with Gerrit Cole RHP PIT vs SF making his Major League debut and my boy Michael Wacha RHP STL @ NYM who struggled last time out but still has all the skills in the world to handle the Mets. I would go cheap on pitching today and load up on studs.
2. Stud Hitters- Jason Castro C HOU (beatable RHP for the splits king), Prince Fielder 1B DET (Davis is not what we thought he could be, Fielder should see some fat pitches), Matt Carpenter 2B/3B STL, Troy Tulowitzki SS COL (facing a meat throwing Haren in Coors, almost a must-start if not for the huge salary), Manny Machado 3B BAL (facing LHP Vargas, expect multi-hits), Mark Trumbo 1B/OF LAA (kills RHP and faces a pitcher struggling vs RHB, must start of the day), Jose Bautista OF TOR (two straight mult-hit games, Quintana gave up 3 HRs last time out), Carlos Beltran OF STL (better as a LHB), and Carlos Gonzalez OF COL (seeing meat pitching in Coors could mean good things).
3. Value Hitters- Victor Martinez C DET (hit safely in 8 out of last 10, hits better as LHB and has all 5 of his HRs from that side of the plate), Matt Adams 1B STL (hoping for an Adams sighting today) if not Adams then Chris McGuiness 1B TEX (good on base guy with some XB potential, super cheap most places), Ryan Roberts 2B/3B TB (.321 AVG 3 HRs in 56 ABs vs LHP), Stephen Drew SS BOS (.314 in June with a .923 OPS, heating up and facing a RHP), Josh Donaldson 3B OAK (3,700 on DK, even though he’s facing Sabathia that’s still way too cheap for the LHP smashing Donaldson), J.D. Martinez OF HOU (facing the pitiful Aaron Harang), Gerardo Parra OF ARI (standard cheap play vs all RHP even Greinke), and Jason Heyward OF ATL (still too cheap for his hotness right now, 2 HRs last night).
4. Stack ‘em Up- Angels @ RHP Miguel Gonzalez (struggles with RHB), Rockies vs RHP Dan Haren, Rangers vs RHP Corey Kluber, Tigers @ RHP Wade Davis, and Red Sox @ RHP Roberto Hernandez. It’s a pretty standard stack list today.
5. The Due Factor- Finally the Due Factor got one right with Josh Hamilton going boom last night. In doing so, Josh Hamilton saved the Due Factor from going the way to extinction. Manny Machado 3B BAL has been a machine this year. He’s currently riding an 8 game hitting streak. Machado hasn’t hit a home run since the last time the Orioles faced the Angels. That was on May 5th. So a month has passed since Machado’s last HR. Machado has also failed to hit a HR off of a LHP so far this year. Manny Machado is double-DUE to go deep today vs Angels LHP Jason Vargas.