Five Notes for Today’s Games
1. Starting Pitchers- Hisashi Iwakuma RHP SEA @ HOU is the undoubted, best pitcher of the day. He has a 1.94 ERA and absolutely destroys RHB and LHB equally. Add in the fact that the Astros strike out more than any other team, and you have a recipe for a great fantasy performance. Just pray for run support. I also love R.A. Dickey RHP TOR @ CWS matchup today. During his last time out, Dickey was the Dickey of last year. He was nearly unhittable, and I believe he’ll carry that success into today. The White Sox are the second worst team in MLB in OPS to opposing RHP. I also could see using Julio Teheran RHP ATL @ SD and Doug Fister RHP DET @ KC as cheaper options. Of course, there’s always Clayton Kershaw LHP LAD vs ARI if you want to spend for him.
2. Stud Hitters- Carlos Santana C CLE (not many other elite options, use McCann), Prince Fielder 1B DET (still streaking), Jason Kipnis 2B CLE (don’t spend on 2B today but if you do go Kipnis), Jean Segura SS MIL (he may be the best SS not name Tulow), Miguel Cabrera 3B DET (no reason needed), Adrian Beltre 3B TEX (if you can’t afford Miggy, Beltre has a great matchup vs LHP Kazmir), Josh Hamilton OF LAA (see the Due Factor, facing RHP Freddy Garcia), Shin-Soo Choo OF CIN (two straight multi-hit games, hits, .342 AVG and 10 HRs vs RHP), Nelson Cruz OF TEX (continues to be a must-start vs LHP .932 OPS), and Mike Trout OF LAA (if you can squeeze him in under your cap, I like him to go deep today).
3. Value Hitters- Brian McCann C ATL (must start vs RHP Jason Marquis, not cheap on DS), James Loney 1B TB (3,600 on DK and Lackey is due to have a bad game), Ben Zobrist 2B/OF TB and/or Kelly Johson 2B/OF TB (Rays are cheap today on DK), Chase Headley 3B SD (too cheap everywhere, 2,900 on FD and 5,024 on DS), Jeff Baker 1B/OF TEX (3,300 on FD, not much of a value on DK and DS but still well worth the play vs LHP), Andrelton Simmons SS ATL (hit safely in 14 of last 15 with 6 multi-hit games during that span), Matt Joyce OF TB (L/R splits play, 3,400 on DK), Jason Heyward OF ATL (streaking hit in 7 straight games, five of which has been multi-hit affairs), and GIANCARLO STANTON OF MIA (I know he could go 0-5 with 5 Ks but he’s only 3,200 on FD. He is a must start there).
4. Stack ‘em Up- Braves @ RHP Jason Marquis, Mariners vs LHP Keuchel, Tigers @ RHP Jeremy Guthrie, Rangers vs LHP Scott Kazmir, and Rays vs RHP John Lackey (due for a bad game and Rays are cheap on DK).
5. The Due Factor- Where do I begin? Well, I’ve decided that if my “due” player doesn’t go deep today then I am going to use this space for something else. Here’s what I have come up with today. Josh Hamilton OF LAA hasn’t homered so far in the month of June. In fact, he hasn’t homered since May 26th, his second longest drought of the season. I think Hamilton is slugging the ball better though lately when he makes contact. He had doubles in four straight games heading into last night’s game in which he went 0 for 5. Granted that the power isn’t completely back for Hamilton, he does have 3 HRs vs Garcia in 12 ABs. Freddy Garcia has had a much harder time vs LHB than the right-handed ones. Josh Hamilton is DUE to trot today.