Five Notes for Today’s Games
1. Starting Pitchers-
- Francisco Liriano LHP PIT @ CIN- The Liriano of old has returned. At least that’s what his stats say. Liriano’s velocity is back up, and he’s sporting a rather sexy 2.00 ERA. An awesome start today could give him 10 wins and a sub-2.00 ERA. That would be a pretty incredible resurrection for the powerful LHP. I think the Reds LHB will have trouble with Liriano’s slider (as most LHB do). Liriano should be another very popular SP on DraftKings because he has the best matchup of the higher priced pitchers but is priced as the 6th best.
- Bud Norris RHP HOU vs SEA- Norris is lights-out at home. He always has been throughout his career. You are going to see a lot of people using him. So far this year he has a 2.27 ERA through 11 home starts. Seattle can be a dangerously powerful team as seen by them being 2nd in the Majors in home runs. Fading Norris may be just as smart a play, but I like the potential for a good start at a relatively cheap $7,200.
- Jeremy Hefner RHP NYM vs PHI- Hefner is a beast. He has a 2.17 ERA over his last 11 starts. Hefner is also a much better pitcher at home with a 2.68 ERA. I think you’ll see a rather pumped up Mets team after hosting the All Star game. Like Norris, Hefner is only 7,200. For me it’s only a decision between these two as to who I’m using. Hef may be the sneakiest, smart pitcher play of the day. Hef is a must-start in Starstreet’s Q for his last name alone.
- Chad Gaudin RHP SF vs ARI- If you are going cheap with your SP on DK today, it doesn’t get any cheaper than Gaudin. Actually Gaudin has been pretty good fantasy points-wise over his last 6 starts. He actually has a better FPPG over the last six than Strasburg who is the most expensive. I think on a day where everybody is going to be stacking, I think Gaudin is a must-start. For stackers and non-stackers alike, his 5K salary allows you to spend other places.
2. Stud Hitters-
- Mike Napoli C/1B BOS- Love the fact that Napoli got some rest over the All Star break. He’ll face the meat-throwing Pettitte to further enhance my love for him today.
- Matt Wieters C BAL- Wieters usually finds his way onto my list when he faces a LHP. He’ll face Derek Holland today.
- Prince Fielder 1B DET- Where has all the power gone? I thought Fielder would dominate the HR Derby’s first round, and he barely even showed up. I will say that he hit the longest HR of the night however. Ervin Santana is not going to be able to contain all of the Tigers hitters. Fielder is a great play against the RHP.
- Allen Craig 1B/OF STL- Somehow Allen Craig is only $4,700. He also offers multi-postition elig. He’s hitting historically well with RISP and looks to be in an incredible zone.
- Jason Kipnis 2B CLE- There’s little doubt that Kipnis is the top 2B play of the day. I love using him against most RHP. The fact that he’ll face Mike Pelfrey only helps his case. He was just warming back up before the break.
- Dustin Pedroia 2B BOS- Pedroia doesn’t have a HR vs a LHP this year. I think that could change today. He’s hitting .333 and slugging .480. He’ll be playing at home vs LHP Pettitte.
- Miguel Cabrera 3B DET- **must start** I think most teams will NOT have Miggy today because of his price tag. That’s exactly why I think he’s a must start. As shown by his plate appearances during the All-Star game, he’s really locked in.
- Pedro Alvarez 3B PIT- Pedro is my pick to go deep today. He’ll face RHP Leake in a park that he has been mashing in this year.
- Jean Segura SS MIL- Jacob Turner has been exhibiting reverse splits so far in his career. Segura likes hitting RHP. To me this play just makes sense.
- Cody Ransom SS/3B CHC- Ransom is almost a must start against any mediocre LHP. He has 7 HRs in 69 ABs so far this year vs LHP.
- Bryce Harper OF WAS- Love, love, love Harper today coming in after the power display during the derby. He’ll face RHP Nolasco and look to pick right back up where he left off.
- Austin Jackson OF DET- AJax finishes my mini stack of the Tigers vs RHP Santana. AJax has also hit RHP much better this year with 4 of his 5 HRs, all 6 SBs, and a .327 AVG.
- Carlos Gonzalez OF COL- Samardzija was straight awful in his last start. CarGo has 17 HRs vs RHP. The exciting thing about CarGo this year is that he’s hitting better away from Coors against LHP. That is just a testament to how awesome he is playing.
- Alfonso Soriano OF CHC- Let’s see if Soriano’s hot streak has stayed hot. It’s a matchup you have to love as he’ll face LHP De La Rosa in Coors Field. I only worry that his price tag my drag him out of most possible budgets. I don’t think a lot of the Midsummer Classic players will be using Soriano.
- Yoenis Cespedes OF OAK- Cespedes hasn’t gone deep since June 21, but he’s moved by his confidence. It’s not an ideal matchup vs RHP Weaver, but I think swagger goes a long way for young inexperienced hitters.
3. Value Hitters-
- Chris Herrmann C MIN- Herrmann has been called up and should be in the LU as an OF with the demotion of Parmalee. I like Herrmann as a stack header because he is 2K and a catcher. That’s the perfect combo in my opinion.
- Victor Martinez C/1B DET- VMart was hitting .458 over his last 10 going into the break.
- Sean Halton 1B MIL- Halton is only on this list because he has the potential of seeing the field. He’s just another stack filler at 2K.
- Brandon Belt 1B SF- It was nice to see Belt have multi-hit games in 2 of his last 3 before heading into the break. Look for a “Belted” today against a really struggling RHP Ian Kennedy.
- Dan Uggla 2B ATL- Uggla’s power display has been very real. If he gets a hold of LHP Danks meat pitches today, look for them to go a very long way. Not often do you get a guy with so many HRs at a $3,800 price tag especially at 2B. He is boom-or-bust.
- Brian Dozier 2B/SS MIN- Dozier is hitting .302 AVG with a .916 OPS vs LHP.
- Brett Lawrie 3B TOR- Lawrie is a speculative play by me, but he’s gotten to get a couple of games under his belt. I think he’ll come out of this break and flash some of that potential we all knew was within him. Price has been struggling a bit vs RHB.
- Trevor Plouffe 3B MIN- Plouffe is hitting a monstrous .351 vs LHP with a .976 OPS. If the Twins are going to get any power in this one, I have a feeling it will be Plouffe doing the damage. Kazmir has been very hit-or-miss as to how dominant he’ll pitch on any given day.
- Jose Iglesias SS BOS- Iglesias has cooled quite a bit lately. I like that he still has a .429 AVG and a 1.046 OPS vs LHP. Obviously, that’s not sustainable, but he’s only 3,500 and faces LHP Pettitte.
- Grant Green SS OAK- If you are stacking, you will need a 2K guy like Green to start. I don’t know if he will actually produce anything, but that salary can go along way to helping the rest of your team.
- J.D. Martinez OF HOU- **must start** Historically, Martinez has been a better hitter against LHP. I have no faith in LHP Saunders away from home. The Astros are great sneaky stack as they are top 10 vs LHP.
- Aaron Hicks OF MIN- Hicks has 4 HRs in 54 ABs vs LHP. One of those was off LHP Kazmir back on May 4.
- Marcell Ozuna OF MIA- .352 AVG with RISP. I think you’ll see Lohse give up some baserunners today.
- Logan Morrison OF MIA- LoMo is a borderline must start. LoMo has been feasting on RHP since his return to the LU. Lohse has given up 19 HRs so far this year.
4. Stack ‘em Up-
- Braves @ LHP John Danks
- Rays @ RHP Esmil Rogers
- Tigers @ RHP Ervin Santana
- Red Sox vs LHP Andy Pettitte
- Astros vs LHP Joe Saunders
5. My DK Midsummer Classic Line Up
P- Jeremy Hefner NYM $7,200
P- Chad Gaudin SF $5,000
C- Chris Herrmann MIN $2,000
1B- Prince Fielder DET $5,000
2B- Dustin Pedroia BOS $5,100
3B- Miguel Cabrera DET $6,900
SS- Cody Ransom CHC $4,200
OF- Bryce Harper WAS $5,100
OF- Allen Craig STL $4,700
OF- Austin Jackson DET $4,800
0 dollars left over