Notes for the EARLYand LATE Games
**I’m only using the EARLY game of the TEX@ARI doubleheader (LHP M. Perez @ LHP T. Skaggs)**
1. Starting Pitchers- On the high priced side I like Adam Wainwright RHP STL @ KC and Justin Verlander RHP DET vs PIT. I think you can find enough value in these games to not have to roster more expensive pitching. You must always start RHP versus the Marlins. Jake Odorizzi RHP TB is also a rookie so he should be a cheap option most places. Like Odorizzi, Jhoulys Chacin RHP COL @ HOU gets a very exploitable matchup. Chacin has been much better on the road and the Astros lead MLB in strikeouts by RHP. Jose Quintana LHP CHW vs CHC has been pitching pretty well in May. and the Cubs have real problems vs LHP.
2. Stud Hitters- Joe Mauer C MIN (facing Wily Peralta who gives up a .340 AVG to LHB), Evan Gattis C/OF ATL (if he plays), David Ortiz 1B BOS (must start), Paul Goldschmidt 1B ARI, Joey Votto 1B CIN, Jason Kipnis 2B CLE, Dustin Pedroia 2B BOS, Chase Headley 3B SD, Adrian Beltre 3B TEX, Chris Johnson 1B/3B ATL, Jimmy Rollins SS PHI, Jean Segura SS MIL, Michael Morse OF SEA, Nelson Cruz OF TEX, Justin Upton OF ATL, and Carlos Gonzalez OF COL.
3. Value Hitters- Brayan Pena C DET (tough matchup vs LHP Liriano but has hit .448 vs LHP this year), J. Saltalamacchia C BOS, Adam LaRoche 1B WAS (3,200 on FD), Yonder Alonso 1B SD, Jeff Baker 1B/OF TEX (must start vs bad LHP), Dan Uggla 2B ATL (only 3,400 on DK), Martin Prado 3B ARI (only 2,600 on FD and has two straight mulit hit games), David Adams 2B/3B NYY (still 2,000 on DK), Eduardo Escobar SS MIN, Matt Tuiasosopo 3B/OF DET, Kendrys Morales 1B/OF (3,500 on DK is a steal considering the way he hits LHP .339 AVG/1.004 OPS and that LHP is struggling LHP Clayton Richard), Asvail Garcia OF DET (could be a sneaky play), A.J. Pollock OF ARI, and Oswaldo Arcia OF MIN.
4. Stack ‘em Up- Rangers @ LHP Tyler Skaggs, Red Sox vs RHP Tyler Cloyd, Padres @ RHP Aaron Harang, Mariners vs LHP Clayton Richard, and Braves @ LHP Mark Buehrle. I also like mini-stacks of the D’backs righties vs LHP Martin Perez, Twins lefties @ RHP Wily Peralta, Reds lefties vs RHP Ubaldo Jimenez. and Phillies lefties @ RHP Alfredo Aceves.
5. The Due Factor- Man, my due factor struggled last week. I guess it just shows what kind of hot streak I was on. Michael Morse OF SEA has not had an extra base hit in 8 games but has a .321 AVG and .604 SLG vs LHP. Opposing LHP Clayton Richard has given up a .605 SLG to opposing RHB. Michael Morse is DUE for an extra base hit today. Jimmy Rollins SS PHI hasn’t stolen a base in 12 games. Today he’ll face an opposing catcher in J. Saltalamacchia that has only thrown out 5 of 29 possible base stealers. I think Rollins will be on base early and often in this one. Look for Rollins to swipe a bag because he’s DUE. Martin Prado 3B/OF ARI has no home runs in the month of May but has 3 XBHs in the last three games. Prado is also 7 of his last 8. He’ll face a very favorable matchup in Texas LHP Martin Perez. Although Prado doesn’t hit a ton of HRs off of LHP and doesn’t hit a ton of HRs period, I still think he’s DUE to go deep today.