Five Notes for the EARLY Games
1. So there’s Max Scherzer RHP DET vs HOU and then everybody else. You are really rolling the dice with any of your other starter options. I’m leaning towards Alexi Ogando RHP TEX @ OAK and Ian Kennedy RHP ARI vs ATL as the only other options. I’m avoiding Cole Hamels based on his price. I think Freddy Garcia is a trap play today. The Padres will have a powerful lineup in place that could give Garcia fits in my opinion, and you never know what Tim Hudson you are buying these days.
2. Stud Hitters- Joe Mauer C MIN, Ian Kinsler 2B TEX, Chris Davis 1B/OF BAL, Nate McLouth OF BAL, Miguel Cabrera 3B DET (only if you can manage it), Chase Headley 3B SD, Chase Utley 2B PHI, Jimmy Rollins SS PHI, DiDi Gregorius SS ARI, Yonder Alonso 1B/OF, and Nick Swisher 1B/OF CLE
3. Value Hitters- Bryan Pena C DET, Johnny Peralta SS DET, Matt Tuiasosopo 3B/OF DET, Mitch Moreland 1B/OF TEX, David Murphy OF TEX, Oswaldo Arcia OF MIN, and Pedro Florimon 2B/SS MIN
4. Stack the Tigers vs LHP Dallas Keuchel (duh), Padres @ RHP Freddy Garcia, Rangers @ RHP Dan Strailly, Twins vs RHP Dylan Axelrod, and Phillies vs RHP Corey Kluber.
5. The Due Factor- Joe Mauer C MIN has hit safely in 11 straight games. During that time Mauer has 10 extra base hits. Mauer hasn’t hit a home run since April 15. I’ve missed on this before, but Mauer is overDUE to hit a home run today off of the White Sox (RHP Dylan Axelrod SP). Jimmy Rollins SS PHI has only had two mult-run games this year and has yet to accomplish that feat in May. Corey Kluber has given up 11 earned runs his last two starts. Jimmy Rollins is DUE to score multiple runs today. Let’s go back to the speed well. Chase Utley 2B PHI hasn’t stolen a base since he did so against McKenry back on April 24. Some would argue that Carlos Santana is as bad at throwing out runners (16 SBs and 3 CS). Chase Utley is DUE to swipe a bag.